2020 Marketing Rethink.
This year has completely changed the way we use and engage with social media. Brand’s mindsets have shifted from creating a short term strategy to get them through lockdown, to a long term game of adaptation that will continue for years to come.
We want to share the latest industry trends around digital marketing as predictions that were made earlier on in the year have most likely changed. The digital world is evolving every day, so it’s important to follow the noise so as a brand you can be responsive and proactive with your marketing.
- For the first half of the year, 40% of consumers used social media for entertainment. Fast forward to now, 60% of Gen Z and Millennials (aged 16 - 37) are using platforms to stay connected with friends and family.
- The cost of social media impressions has dropped as brands continue to pause their marketing. 54% of consumers continue to approve of “normal” advertising.
- 27% of consumers have found new brands through social media since the pandemic. In comparison, only 19% of consumers are discovering new brands through search. Now’s a great opportunity to grab the attention of consumers on social media in the early stages of their purchase journey.
- Now is the time to lean on influencers if it fits your product or brand. 13% more of Facebook users and 16% of Instagram users are sharing social media posts from influencers than they ever had before.
- There's a platform for everyone, so jumping on the TikTok bandwagon may do more harm to your brand's image than good! Facebook will also disapprove of your ads if you take advantage of disaster marketing or if you don’t post ads frequently and then launch a campaign out of nowhere. The answer? Post consistently all year round.
- Baby Boomers (aged 57 - 64), whilst less inclined to use social media at the start of the year, 14% are now spending more time on social media than before and 36% are using it to stay up to date with current events.
Ask us how we can help adapt your brand's marketing strategy so it’s agile and at the right moment whilst still meeting the needs of your audience. Social media may be changing, but our capabilities and expertise remain the same. Let's get started today.
Global Web Index - Social Flagship Report Q3 2020
Global Web Index - 2020 Consumers - The Story so Far
SMK - Digital Leadership Lab “Getting 2020 Back on Track”
Hootsuite - How 2020 Changed Social Media